Friday, April 19Hampton Roads Weekly
Shadow

Community

Live Like Freddie: I’ll Dance at Your Wedding

Live Like Freddie: I’ll Dance at Your Wedding

Community
By Connie Meyer The youngest of Freddie’s grandchildren, my niece, got married a few months ago.  This young woman is truly special- as beautiful on the inside as she is out, her generosity of spirit and ability to sense what makes others feel at ease, reminds me exactly of her grandfather, my dad, Freddie.   As the preparations began for her wedding, there was no question that my sister would ensure the setting would be beautiful, the food delicious, the music lyrical, and the ceremony meaningful.   When I first heard the news of the young couple’s engagement, one line I’d heard Freddie say my whole life, over and over to friends and family alike, popped into my mind- “I’ll dance at your wedding”.  When I was younger, I couldn’t really understand what he mean...
Live Like Freddie…The Best Advice in Business and Life

Live Like Freddie…The Best Advice in Business and Life

Community, Uncategorized
Stronger... One More Time By Connie Meyer The staccato, quick tap of high-heeled shoes on the linoleum floor bounced off the walls of the hall.  With no other noises to compete in the darkness, the sharp sound of footsteps could be heard throughout the whole hospital wing.  The person walking quickly broke the hushed quiet in Freddie Aron’s hospital room.  The special private-duty nurse, Miss Sheila, had begun her shift at midnight, and her patient, Mr. Aron, had given her his usual rundown of the day.  His wife and younger daughter had been with him most of the day, as well as many friends who could finally take turns for short visits now that he had moved to a step-down unit from the ICU.  And he’d spoken to his older daughter who lived 3,000 miles away...
The Outrage Mob Goes Shopping

The Outrage Mob Goes Shopping

Business, Community, Headlines
By Kerry Dougherty It’s official. We’re turning into a nation of sniveling babies. Always looking for new ways to be offended. Exhibit A: Macy’s. Seems a “podcast host” most of us never heard of spied some novelty dinner plates in the popular department store and was so outraged by the sight of them that she started yapping. On her podcast, I presume. Next thing you know, the milquetoasts running the company knuckled under and announced that they’d stop the sale of the horrifying plates. What was on them, you ask. Something racist? Homophobic? Vulgar? Nope, the plates had concentric circles, for portions. The smallest said “skinny jeans” the next bigger had “favorite jeans” and the biggest circle said “mom jeans.” How dare they! Apparently these plates are guilty. ...
Contemporary Woman Leader of Today: Cheryl McLeskey

Contemporary Woman Leader of Today: Cheryl McLeskey

Business, Community, Headlines, Uncategorized
Hampton Roads Weekly had the pleasure and privilege of sitting down to talk with Cheryl McLeskey who is our contemporary woman leader of today.  This dynamic, warm, multi-talented woman has overcome incredible odds with the help of her God-given strength.  We are lucky to have Cheryl as a tireless leader in Hampton Roads. TAKING OVER THE HELM OF MCLESKEY COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT I have to give credit to my late husband Wayne for building a solid foundation through decades of hard work. He developed high-quality residential and commercial projects all around the region to help serve people. Becoming CEO of the company after my husband‘s death in 2012 was very difficult as I fought through grief. Through the great senior leadership team that Wayne trained for decades, and the ...
Senior Care

Senior Care

Community
Senior care can be very expensive. When the need arises for senior care at home, many suddenly realize that, for the most part, there are no government-based programs to assist with the costs. Planning is always very important, and the earlier you can think about the best ways to pay for care, the better.  In this article I will describe five ways you can save $5,000 per year for senior care. Not all of these apply to everyone, but all of us can find two or three of these that will apply. Here are the five: 1. Start early with a small amount of care. Usually families wait until it’s too late to get assistance, when a fall or medication error can lead to much larger and more expensive needs down the road. When noticing a loved one’s needs are changing, arrange assistance with...
How the Greatest Generation Can Once Again Save This Country… #VBstrong

How the Greatest Generation Can Once Again Save This Country… #VBstrong

Community, Headlines
Possible Solutions to Mass Shootings After the terrible tragedy that occurred in Virginia Beach on Friday, May 31st, people all over the country are once again asking when these mass shootings will stop.  There are two primary strategies that have been discussed for several years.  The first strategy discussed by Democrats and the media is gun control.  The second strategy discussed by Republicans is arming schools and citizens and eliminating stringent gun control laws.  We can debate for years (and we have) the advantages and disadvantages of each proposed strategy; however, at the end of the day, they are not solutions to the problem.  They are, in fact, just a band aid.  The infection is still raging and both strategies are not the “antibiotic” that...
Prayers For Hampton Roads

Prayers For Hampton Roads

Community, Headlines
On behalf of our Hampton Roads Weekly family,  please keep in your prayers the victims and the families of all those murdered and injured this afternoon. We understand we all must come together now to give comfort. Many thanks to our incredible first responders. We at HRW will keep you informed of how we may be able to help in any way. #loveforvb
Here for the Girls

Here for the Girls

Community
Here for the Girls, Inc. Celebrated at Sandler Center ~”Eat, Drink & Be Inspired” Reception Hosted by Area Leaders~ March 22nd, 2019-Virginia Beach  Thursday, March 21st, Annie & Art Sandler, Andrea Brazil, Janet Mercadante and Diane Smalley hosted a reception at the Sandler Center to introduce Here for the Girls, Inc. (H4TG|www.hereforthegirls.org) to Hampton Roads’ southside. Founded in 2007, this Williamsburg-headquartered 501(c)(3) is dedicated to improving the lives of young women affected by breast cancer through Beyond Boobs! (in-person support) and Pink Link (virtual support). “When I first heard of Here for the Girls’ mission, how they address the unique emotional and practical support needs of younger women with breast cancer—something no other organizat...
Cavaliers Help Cleanse NCAA

Cavaliers Help Cleanse NCAA

Community
By Gary Edwards Like a fresh dusting of snow, Virginia’s 85-77 overtime win over Texas Tech in the NCAA national championship game has given college basketball a much needed cleansing. But while the Cavaliers’ redemptive victory can change the landscape for a while, make no mistake the soot and dirt still lay beneath the surface. Barely a year ago, UVA coach Tony Bennett left his heart in Charlotte as UMBC became the first 16 seed to upset an overall number one seed in the NCAA Tournament. So this year’s title run had to be especially satisfying not only to Cavalier fans, but also to anyone who values what is supposedly good and right about college athletics. Because it seems young Mr. Bennett and his Cavaliers do try to do things the right way. Not only do they roll up their...
Live Like Freddie…

Live Like Freddie…

Community, Uncategorized
The Best Advice in Business and Life The Brown Paper Bag Each year, this very week in time on the calendar, my mind travels back to another decade with my dad, Freddie Aron, at Rogers Men’s Clothing store in Portsmouth, Virginia - and the all important lessons in business and in life that I learned there. It is after a hectic, but wonderful Christmas season, and is time now to clear away last year’s merchandise to make room as new fresh spring items flood in our back door. I am standing behind the large, U-shaped, mahogony counter that houses the cash register, gift wrapping area, and the shelves filled with paper bags. There were two kinds of bags stored there. A handsome, embossed, black, and gold bag with the  Roger’s Clothes crest logo on front and a small, light brow...